You must have encountered this error ECONNREFUSED – Connection refused by server while using Filezilla, Don’t worry. We are going to provide you 100% working solution for this error on your Filezilla. All you have to do is follow the easy steps from below and find a proper solution for the problem.
Before that, you need to know the cause of this error. You need to know about this error and what is the thing that is actually causing this error on your Filezilla.
1: Disable Antivirus/Firewall on your Computer
The first thing that you need to do is to disable the firewall on your computer. As the connection is not establishing, you need to check if the firewall is causing the issue. Also, sometimes the antivirus on the system blocks the connection between different servers and websites because of some reason.
Make sure to check the antivirus settings and if required, disable the antivirus temporarily. To disable the firewall on your computer, Follow the steps below if you are using WINDOWS:
- Press Start/Windows key on your keyboard
- Search for Control Panel and open it
- Now, Click on System and Security and then click on Windows Defender Firewall
- Locate the setting named Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off from the left sidebar
- In the dialogue box, check all the required settings and apply the changes to disable the firewall.
- Restart the computer or Internet Connection, Check if the error is fixed.
To disable the firewall on your computer, Follow the steps if you are using MAC:
- Firstly, Click on Apple menu on the toolbar and navigate to System Preferences
- Then find the Security & Privacy option from the settings
- On the tabs, Locate Firewall
- Click on Turn Off Firewall
- Check if the connection is established with the server on Filezilla
2: Change Default Port Value on Filezilla
There are chances that you are using some invalid ports while connecting to Filezilla. These incorrect ports will not allow the system to establish a connection and as a result, you will see the ECONNREFUSED error.
If this is the case with you, All you have to do is change the ports while connecting to Filezilla. This might resolve the issue and you won’t ever face this error again on your connections. Follow the simple step to change the ports on Filezilla.
While connecting to the servers on Filezilla, check for the “Port” field. Change the value of Port from 21 and enter 22 in the port field.
3: Try adding “ftp.” to the FQDN
If you are using additional security services on your Website like Sucuri Website Firewall or Sitelock, You need to add “ftp.” at the starting of your Domain while connecting on Filezilla. FQDN stands for Fully Qualified Domain Name, this is the domain name that you generally use while connecting to any FTP client.
Just add simple “ftp.” at the very beginning of the Fully Qualified Domain Name while connecting on Filezilla or any other FTP client. Sometimes, this resolves the error which is facing issue while connecting to the server.
4: Modify Network Configuration Wizard on Filezilla
If both of the above methods didn’t work for you, don’t worry. You can simply change the Network Configuration Wizard on Filezilla that might resolve the issue completely. All you have to do is edit some fields in the Network Configuration Wizard, which might resolve the error.
You simply have to follow the steps below and check if the error is resolved:
- Firstly, Connect to your Filezilla FTP Clients
- Click on Edit and then click on Network Configuration Wizard
- Once the dialogue box appears, click on next to proceed further.
- Now from the transfer mode, Select Passive (recommended) as default.
- Click on the checkbox for Allow feedback to another transfer mode on failure.
- Click on Next and then choose to Use the server’s external IP address instead.
- Now click on get the external IP address from the following URL. If the input field is having no data, Enter the default value. The default value is http://ip.filezilla-project.org/ip.php and click on proceed.
- On the port range configuration, do not change anything and choose the “Ask operating system for a port”.
These are all the changes that you need to do in the Network Configuration Wizard in Filezilla. To check everything is working fine, click on the Test button. This will allow Filezilla to test the connection from a default website.
If you have tested and the connection was established on the test server, Congratulations. Filezilla can properly connect to the server now. Try connecting to the hosting again and see if the error is resolved.
Even after following all the steps, you see ECONNREFUSED error on Filezilla, the problem lies within the hosting end. As the test connection on your system went smoothly, you need to get your hosting checked. Ask the support regarding your issue and tell them about the things you have already done.
Why ECONNREFUSED – connection refused by server error occurs?
There are various things that might cause this error. As Filezilla works handy with the server, there are chances that the connection is not established between the server and the system. As the error itself clarifies that the connection is being refused by the server, you need to have a look at what exactly is going wrong.
There are multiple possibilities that might cause this error for your connection. We are going to tell you each and every detail about the error and how to resolve it in the easiest ways. Follow the methods and choose whichever suits your conditions.
Fix ECONNREFUSED – connection refused by server Error
There are various things which are responsible for causing this error on your Filezilla. You have to take a look at each and every step in these methods to find out the exact issue. Go through all these methods and check what is the thing that you need to implement on your system.
These are the most common things that fix the error on every system having this error. Check them out and see what is the thing you can do at first.
These were all the simplest and easiest ways that could resolve the problem from your system. Most of the users have successfully resolved the problem on their system using this method. If you are having any doubts/queries while trying any of the above methods, let us know through the comments.
If you have successfully resolved the problem, Share your experience and the method that worked for you in the comments. Also, If you know any of the other methods that can solve the problem for ECONNREFUSED – connection refused by server Error, let us know about that in the comments.
We hope that you may have found the solution till now. And even if you tried all the methods and facing the issue, you need to contact your hosting provider. The problem lies within the hosting service. Open a ticket or contact support from the portal on the Hosting provider’s website. Check what they have to say about the problem.
That’s all, Have a Good Day!!